Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Morning Sickness Foods

I tried to choose healthy snacks during the worst of the morning sickness

My morning sickness, which lasted beyond the morning, was pretty difficult throughout the first trimester and the beginning of the second. I was always nauseous: in the middle of the night, the morning and throughout the day. (And yes, I did vomit pretty regularly, too.) None of it was conducive to working, being social or feeling comfortable.

The doctor and various pregnancy books recommend eating regularly in order to help fill up the belly and stave off the nausea. At first that seemed really counter-intuitive. The last thing I wanted to do was eat.

Crackers and dry, plain foods were the best choices. I tried to choose high fiber, whole grain snacks. Every day (and middle of the night), I'd snack on fortified cereal with whole grains. The healthiest cereals were those with flax, quinoa and other nutrient rich grains and seeds. Later on, I was able to add milk, or yogurt, and some berries and wheat germ into the snacks.

Yes, sometimes I snacked on Fritos and other tasty, but nutrient shallow foods. I tried my best to wait until after I ate something healthy first.

I always keep some nuts, (mixed nuts with almonds and dried fruits) in my purse if I went out. I still keep some in the car, since the motion can bring those old feelings back.

Click here to read about nausea stopping Sea Bands, which also helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment