Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

We Are Fam-i-ly...

Car stickers announce family and gender roles. 
It doesn't have to be like that.

I understand that the phrase, "we're starting a family" is intended to mean that a couple is expecting a child or children.

The phrase doesn't ring true to me. Before I was pregnant, my husband and I were definitely a unit. That is to say, we chose to become a family. Some couples decide not to have children and that doesn't mean they are not a family. As an only child, I've become an "aunt" to more more than friend's child and I'm close with a number of people, blood relations or not.

A family is how you decide to define it: same-sex, opposite sex, with biological, adopted or fostered children, or without children. Here's to defining our own families!

No comments:

Post a Comment