Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Learning to Share: Food Shopping & Cooking

How I spent my summer vacation: 
Fresh pasta with farmer's market veggies

While my husband and I share many household tasks, I claimed the task of food shopping and cooking as soon as we moved in together. I love to cook. I even love to food shop. I like to walk around the aisles of a supermarket and think about the meals I could prepare. I enjoy looking through cookbooks before going food shopping and then exploring ethnic supermarkets to see what less-common foods I can buy and then whisk into a dinner.

I realize that I'll have less time to food shop or cook with the baby, especially in the beginning as I (hope to) breast feed and recover from the birth. I imagine there will be even less time to explore new recipes. Since I find cooking and preparing to cook so relaxing, that's a bit disappointing to me.

So, this home chef is trying to learn how to share. My husband and I typically share the chores and errands. We've lived together for almost five years, but yet I've always kept the grocery list and prepared most of our meals. To prepare for the baby, we're sorting out how to share the food shopping and cooking to make the transition in June a little easier.

I put the shopping list on a shared Google doc and my husband has been doing the food shopping recently. I've even "let" him cook dinner a few times. Of course, he's a good chef (and did all of these things for himself before we lived together) and able to do these things. The problem is that I'm not so hot on giving them up. Sure, he's welcome to do the other errands that no one likes to do, like taking out the garbage or cleaning the bathroom.

I really need to learn to share the fun stuff. Good thing we're starting early.

No comments:

Post a Comment