Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Superstitions and Pregnancy



This short story begins with a large bird (maybe a hawk?) that periodically visits our backyard. I see him some  early mornings and I'm pretty convinced that we make eye contact. There's some kind of communication happening there. Hawks have good vision, right? So he might be able to see me up a flight of stairs and through a window.

When I lift my cell phone to take a picture, he usually flies away. I decided that being able to take this picture a few weeks ago was good luck.

I'm not a usually superstitious person, but being pregnant has made me just a bit so. Since I can't yet feel the baby move, I keep searching for external signs that everything is going well.

Perhaps a visit from our local rodent-hunter was good luck and means that everything is fine? Or maybe it means that something has gone wrong. Or, maybe it is the opposite: Since I haven't seen him in a while, then everything must be fine.

What I need to do is return to normal. Normal being a place where a random bird sighting only means that there's a bird (or mice) nearby. These hormonal changes are mixing me up.

The real signs are those measurements that the doctor takes before she says that everything is going well. I need to remember that. Meanwhile, every morning I might just peek out the back window to see if anyone is visiting us today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment