Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Quickening: Baby's Movements


The American Pregnancy Association says that some moms can feel their babies move as early as 13 or 16 weeks. I felt some vague fluttering, perhaps, early in the pregnancy, but I started to feel definitive movement around 22 weeks. Feeling the baby move has made the pregnancy more about the baby and less about me.

The morning sickness took over the first trimester and the beginning of the second. Once I started to feel the baby move, I felt as though we were connecting and starting a relationship. The movement, beautifully called quickening, is both reassuring and exciting.

When I eat or drink something very cold (like ice cream) or hot (like tea), I feel movements. I’ve heard mothers say things like, “Oh! I felt a movement so the baby must like (whatever she just ate.)” I’m not sure that the baby can immediately taste the ice cream or tea, but I’m sure s/he is reacting to the sudden change in temperature. I can only hope that it is a nice feeling instead of a startling one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment