Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pregnancy Diet Resources



I knew I shouldn't drink alcohol while pregnant, but I was surprised to discover there were fish to avoid (too much mercury), soft cheeses and cured meats (which could carry listeria) and other issues to keep in mind. These three sources made it easier to understand and plan meals:


Pregnancy Nutrition: Foods to Avoid During Pregnancy from the Mayo Clinic

Eating for Pregnancy: informational book and cookbook (recommended by the Mayo Clinic)

George Washington University's midwifery services' Nutritional Guidelines


Pregnant, you'll probably have to make some adjustments based on your usual diet. My doctor clarified the "soft cheese" rule: pasteurized cheeses are ok. I was happy to find that I could still eat my beloved mozzarella (not the handmade mozzarella from Italian delis, but at least the soft, packaged kind in the supermarket.) Since cured meats heated to a certain temperature are ok, I've added some salami to homemade pizza.

The cookbook, Eating for Pregnancy, explains what foods offer mamma and baby, as well as offering some recipes to make meal planning easier. The recipes are from a variety of cultures, or at times are divorced from a particular culinary tradition, but once I better understood what I should or shouldn't eat, it became easier to tweak them to our preferences.

I've been trying to eat as much healthy food as possible - whole wheat breads, berries, kale, flaxmeal - but I try to accept cravings and be reasonable about it. Hell, sometimes this pregnant mamma just wants some fried chicken! Happiness and eliminating stress are important parts of a healthy pregnancy, too.

What are your favorite resources for a healthy pregnancy diet?

No comments:

Post a Comment