Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Planning To Travel Sans Bambino



I'm very excited to be traveling to Seattle the end of this month to present at the annual AWP conference. I'll be going all alone (i.e. sans family) and, presumably, sleeping well. I'll be a writer immersed in writerly discussions, readings and more.

I'm also terrified. This will be the first time I'm away from our bambino for more than a few hours. The first time leaving the state without him and the first time sleeping somewhere he isn't. We can Facetime and I can keep up with his activities through his Dad (and the phone app), but that's not the same.

I named this blog after the "intersecting" roles. I write about being a mother, so the roles naturally intersect. Sometimes, though, the roles conflict with each other, as my desires do. I want to sleep alone in a hotel room without being "on" listening to a monitor playing my son's nighttime noises. I also want to sleep on the floor in his room to listen to every sound he makes.

As a friend said to me, "Sounds like you're a mother."


No comments:

Post a Comment