Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Must. Leave. The. House.

I couldn't bear the thought of leaving the bambino alone with a sitter until he was about five months old. I would work (teach online or write) in another room while the sitter comforted, fed or played with him. As I've written before, that was really hard. I want to be the one to comfort him or enjoy his laugher. But I also want to continue with my career.

This semester, my husband is on family leave and he's caring for our son while I'm working. Of course, I feel more comfortable with him alone with the bambino, but I still have pangs of jealousy. I'm finding that it is still hard to concentrate at home. With my husband home, it seems even more obvious that I should join the family in their laugher and play instead of working in another room.

If I take my laptop and work someplace else (a coffee shop, the library), then I can better segment my time. It is clear that I need to work when I need to work and then I can come home and play. Or make baby food, do laundry, and otherwise help out.

It is healthy to get out of the house, regardless of how cold it might be. We all need to get aired out once in a while and check things off the to-do list.

And then come home refreshed for ourselves and our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment