Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

The Bully Project


It took me too long to see the documentary, Bully, which follows five (bullied) kids and families, as well as schools, over the 2009/2010 school year. The film is heart breaking, striking and important. It is no small thing to be regularly bullied in school. It is no small thing for a child to attempt or commit suicide.

The Bully Project, connected to the documentary, offers resources tools, definitions and more for students, parents, schools and groups. I strongly encourage you to look at it. I was particularly interested in reading The Parent Action Toolkit. Sure, as the mamma of a tiny baby, it is hard to imagine him being bullied (or bullying), but it is important to set the right groundwork for a kind, generous life.

Friends recently told us about how their five year old daughter was being called names by similarly aged child. The daughter responded with something like, "I don't like nicknames. I preferred to be called by my real name." Beautiful. Words make a difference, both in the accusations and the response.


No comments:

Post a Comment