Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

A Valentine… to Sandra Boynton


I have a writerly crush on Sandra Boynton and I'd like to wish her a very happy Valentine's Day! Her children's books have great rhymes and offer solid knowledge to readers (and listeners) through the words and images. I adore reading them to my son, as does my husband. We both have a number of voices for her books (his is especially funny for Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs!)

We've been reading Consider Love this Valentine's Day week (why not make it a week, right?) I am smitten with the ending, the images and, really each page. I hope you'll check it out.

I've tried to write little rhymes for the bambino, but they just don't work out: I love you / especially when you coo. / Look at all the snow / Yup, you already know. Nope. There's a bit of a rhyme, but we're not building towards anything that makes sense or will end in a smile. (It's healthy to know what your strengths are (to avoid being sub-par? Sorry; I'm done.)

Click through to Sandra Boynton's site or follow her on Facebook and read true children's rhymes. 

2 comments:

  1. My boys' favorite was the Belly Button Book by S.B....Jack used to dissolve into puddles of toddler giggles when the little hippo would say "be-bo." Good memories! :)

    ReplyDelete