Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Trickster Baby: Infant Sleep


Our bambino happily sleeping in nonna's arms

Before I read about infant sleep noises, I thought our baby was a trickster baby. He'd fall asleep, I'd lie down on the bed in his room, and then he'd let out a cry. I'd get out of bed to check on him and his eyes would be closed as if he never made a peep.

Huh. That's confusing. And not restful for his parents.

It turns out infants make all kinds of noise in their sleep. If they quickly quiet down after a short outburst and their eyes stay closed (or close again quickly), then they don't need to be picked up. (I'm sure that all babies are a little different and each parent has to get used to her child's signals.)

Since the infant's belly is very small and he digests his food quickly, he can't wait too long between feedings. Infants are supposed to sleep 16- 18 hours a day; if they feed every 2 - 4 hours, that doesn't leave a lot of time for infant or parent sleeping (or anything else.)

I found it very difficult to sleep while I was pregnant. I also found it super annoying to be told that I should "sleep now before the baby comes." I am now so exhausted that there are no problems falling asleep when given the chance. And, of course, it is easier to sleep without a gigantic belly.

My husband and I take turns being "on duty" throughout the night so each of us gets at least six hours of continuous sleep a night. One of us sleeps in the guest bed in the baby's room and the other sleeps in our bed. Our son prefers to sleep when someone holds him, but slowly we've been able to help him become more accustomed to the crib.

Here are some really good tips from Parents magazine about putting - and keeping - your baby to sleep.  We've had luck following Dr. Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block suggestions with white noise and a tight swaddle around the bambino before we put him in the crib.

Of course, don't forget to put your baby Back to Sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment