Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Grazie, Nonni!

Nonna and the sleeping bambino

Thank you to my parents – the nonni – for visiting us in D.C. while my husband was away for a conference, and an additional thanks to my mom for staying a little longer. We all had so much fun together and my husband and I were happy to catch up on some work and rest. This hectic fall semester is going to test our multi-tasking skills, and so quiet moments all together – in various combinations - make it all seem possible to keep moving forward.  

With all of his smiles, our bambino seems to recognize his nonni (for more on when babies start to recognize others, click here), and of course no matter how quickly he grows and changes, the nonni recognize him. When they first saw him and reached for him while coo-ing, smiling and offering kisses, I couldn’t help but smile.

Three months or so after my son’s birth, I realize how much better I’m feeling. Not being pregnant or recovering from the birth, I can do all kinds of crazy things, like tie my own shoes and carry laundry up and down the stairs. The pregnancy and early months were tough. What a relief to be able to sit calmly and visit with my parents, and even leave the house with their grandson for some Washington, D.C. adventures. Any of that would have been hard to imagine doing back in early June when they were here helping us to acclimate to our new routine.

The nonni and I took the bambino met friends and their kids at Union Market for a tasty brunch before stocking up on Italian food at Litteri one block away. Union Market is spacious and easy to navigate, even for a fairly inexperienced mamma. While the crowded Litteri store is the opposite experience, the walls of olive oil bottles and large cans for sale made it worth a rushed visit.

Later, Nonna and I wandered around Hillwood Gardens with the bambino. He slept most of the time in the carrier and we were able to be outside and admire the formal gardens. He also slept through the bell recital one dusk evening at the National Cathedral; perhaps the fresh air and music influenced his sleep.

It was a treat to go on a date with my husband – twice! Sure, we mostly talk about the bambino whether he is with us or not, but it is good to spend some time together just the two of us. Oysters, gelato and being together make a fine, peaceful night out. That summer night, pumping before I went to sleep knowing there were three of us to respond to the bambino’s nighttime needs, I felt calmer than I have in a long time.  

Thanks again, nonni. A presto! 




1 comment:

  1. It was our pleasure and a wonderful experience. Count on us anytime!

    ReplyDelete