Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Breastfeeding: Lactation Cookies

I love having a reason to make time to return to the kitchen. 
Check out my food blog, Fare La Scarpetta.

Lactation cookies - cookies with ingredients that are supposed to increase your milk supply - aren't entirely guilt free, but at least eating them is both enjoyable and productive. And yes, I was really skeptical about the idea.

I really like this food.com recipe. The cookies taste great and I've noticed an actual increase in milk supply. Ok, the increase isn't terribly noticeable, but the cookies are good and it seems like they are helping. No harm done, right?

The cookies contain brewer's yeast, oats and flax - all healthy ingredients. I've made some with the recommended chocolate chips and some with butterscotch chips. I also cut out the white sugar from the recipe (the brown sugar made them sweet enough for me.) The recipe suggests 2-4 tablespoons of brewer's yeast and I've been using the full four. The cookies taste just like regular cookies that I'd eat regardless of breastfeeding. Non-lactating male and female friends have tasted them and liked them (and didn't start to lactate, so no worries there.)

Lactation cookies sold in stores and online are crazy expensive. Two dollars a cookie is too much, especially when this is the time to save for basics like diapers. Sure, time is also short these days, but I baked a a few batches one afternoon and froze most of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment