Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Essentials for the New Mamma

Sure, there are endless things to buy for the baby (here are some things I recommend to help with infant sleep.) But what about the new mamma? 

I often find myself in a position where I can't move. It can take a while to feed the baby (who sometimes takes lots of breaks and falls asleep in my arms) or I'm pumping. I need to be comfortable and have something to read, listen to or look at. Sure, it would be nice to spend all of the time looking deeply into my baby's eyes while nursing or bottle feeding him, but he eventually closes his eyes.

I've set up a bit of a nest for myself in his room. On the (adult) guest bed in his room, I've piled lots of pillows (including a "husband" pillow for back support) and keep some essentials within reach on a breakfast tray:

Magazines, books and book light (great for keeping the room darker before naps or during night feedings)
iPad (also great for reading during nighttime feeding, streaming movies with the subtitles on and the sound off or listening to podcasts)
Easy to eat snacks (dried fruit, nuts, granola bars, etc.) and water
Nipple cream

Nursing releases sleep-inducing hormones (as if caring for a newborn didn't already take care of sleepiness). If someone is nearby to watch the baby and lets you nap after a feeding, have an eye mask and ear plugs nearby to ensure that you can sleep deeply and well for at least a short period. (Of course, don't wear ear plugs if you're responsible for baby.)

Nearby I keep a heating pad that can be heated up quickly in the microwave. It offers a great muscle relief. 

What tools helped to make you feel more comfortable? 

No comments:

Post a Comment