Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pregnant Book Tour: Reading from Unrest

 
Reading poems - with a baby bump - at Cornelia Street Cafe, New York City

My first poetry chapbook, Unrest, was published last month and I've been reading from the book and newer poems. And, of course, I'm pregnant. Quite the busy and exciting combination.

I love sharing the book and poems with friends and new friends. Since I know I'll be super busy once the baby comes, it feels good to be out and about sharing the work that's most important to me. It has been particularly heartwarming to see friends smiling in the audience. Don't give up on me friends, I won't be in baby-hibernation forever.

I've been a bit nervous reading pregnant. My body is, um, noisier (toots, burps) than usual. Luckily that hasn't happened during a reading. I also have to go to the bathroom just about constantly, so I've been worried about standing on stage or listening to other performers and having to rudely excuse myself. So far, so good. Not every venue has supplied a microphone, either. I've been a bit out of breath with the pregnancy and it is hard to speak for long periods of time, let alone project my voice.

I can feel the baby move while I'm reading and listening to other writers or musicians. Maybe the baby loves the sounds? Or, maybe the baby is annoyed by the change in the schedule (I'm usually in bed or lying down quite early in the evenings these days.) Hard to say. We'll know more about each other once we meet this summer.

There are three more readings on the tour. I'd love to see you at one of them:

Big Blue Marble Bookstore, Philadelphia, PA
551 Carpenter Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19119
Finishing Line Press Poetry Reading with David Ebenbach, Alison Hicks, Chloe Yelena Miller, and Hila Ratzabi
Saturday, March 16th, 5 PM

Takoma Park’s Third Thursday Series, Takoma Park, MD
Poetry Reading with Four Poets
Takoma Park Community Center
7500 Maple Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20912
Thursday, March 21, 7:30 PM)

Nora School Poetry Reading Series, Silver Spring, MD
Poetry reading with Rod Jellema, Chloe Yelena Miller and Marie Pavlicek-Wehrli
Thursday April 18, 2013; 7:30 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment