Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Double-Holiday Joy: Italian and American Holidays



Do we plan on celebrating two sets of holidays every year with our child: American and Italian? Yes! Why not? More fun, more treats, more joy and more language opportunities.

Yesterday was St. Joseph's Day and Father's Day in Italy. My husband and I went to The Italian Store in Arlington, Va., for the St. Joseph's pastries (see more low-calorie photos here.) We'll wait until next year to officially celebrate the Italian Father's Day, but we didn't wait to enjoy these creamy pastries.

I'm hoping to speak Italian to our child as much as possible. As I've been reading in The Bilingual Edge (more to come about that book), starting early is the best way to help ensure that your child becomes bilingual. The authors smartly recommend integrating cultural and fun activities with the language. Holidays are, of course, a great way to do that.

After spending four years in Florence, Italy, I speak Italian, although I didn't encounter a lot of words related to babies. I've started a list of relevant words here on my Italian language, culture and cuisine blog, Fare La Scarpetta

No comments:

Post a Comment