Pages

Friday, December 5, 2014

Parent Author Interview: Liz Maccie


A big thank you to author Liz Maccie for sharing her thoughts on writing, writing as a parent, growing up and raising children. We went to high school together and this beautiful book, Lessons I Never Learned at Meadowbrook Academy, is rooted in that particular place and experience. I loved reading both the familiar and new throughout the tightly woven story. I strongly recommend the book.



Liz Maccie was born and raised in New Jersey and attended Bucknell University.  After college, she moved out to Los Angeles to pursue a career in film and television writing.  She has had two movies produced, “The Thirst” and “Black and Blue.”  She went on to work at The Disney Channel until she found a home at the ABC Family show, “Make it or Break it.”  She recently adapted the wildly popular YA book, “The List” as a television show.  “Lessons” is Liz’s debut novel.

Follow Liz Maccie's website and Facebook page for upcoming readings and more. 



Your book is inspired by your own high school experience. Can you describe where or how you decided to veer from non-fiction and move into the realm of fiction?

The reason I chose to write from a fictional standpoint rather than a non-fictional standpoint was really dictated by the story.  I knew I wanted to tell a sort of "Breakfast Club" kind of story that all happened in one day.  In order to due that I had to heighten reality in order for the day to have continued stakes and consequences.  I do think that when we write fiction, we are always, at least on some level writing non-fiction.  Our truths have a way of working themselves into the voices of many characters.  It's that old adage, "write what you know."  When I re-read my book now, it's actually shocking to me how autobiographical it actually is.  I didn't necessarily plan for that to happen, but again I just think it kind of happens on its own.  There are parts of me in every character.  It's a very neat thing to realize.    

What was it like writing about childhood as a mother?

Writing about childhood as a mother was an absolute trip!  Going down memory lane just made me think about all the experiences (both bad and good) that my own daughter will eventually have one day.  There were certain moments, like thinking about that first gut-wrenching heart break that I know my daughter must go through.  I guess the mom in me would like to protect her, but then again, the woman in me also knows that the culmination of all my experiences has made me who I am.  There was also this gnawing realization that just like I did, my daughter will keep secrets from me.  And that's a hard truth to swallow.  I know holding your own private moments under lock and key sometimes is also a part of growing up, but oh God, I already want to know everything!  I can only hope I am able to raise her with the comfort and safety of knowing that she can always come to me at anytime with anything.  But, the rest needs to be left up to her.  I never told my mom about my first kiss.  Looking back, I'm not even sure why I hadn't.  I hope my daughter will come to me with life's milestones, but in writing this book I did realize, it is a distinct possibility that she may not.  And, that's okay too.

What books have you read (fiction, non fiction, craft, etc.) that most inspired or helped you in drafting and editing this book?

My all time favorite book is, “Perks of Being a Wallflower.”  It is hands down the one book that inspired me to be a writer.  This book got passed around my friends like a torch.  I think I’ve read it a hundred times.  The thing I love about this book is that no matter when I read it, whatever age I was and whatever I was going through at the time, it ALWAYS spoke to me.  It spoke to me as a young person and it continues to speak to me as an adult and now, as a mother.  For me, that is the true power of great storytelling, to span generations.  My other favorite books are, “Speak,” for similar reasons like Perks.  “The Lovely Bones,” simply because it takes something so horrid and explores how pain can be transformed into beauty and healing.  “She Comes Undone,” I think is such a powerful coming of age story.  This book really spoke to me because I had battled my weight for so long, so I completely identified with the main character.  I adore the YA book, “The List.”  This book is such a powerful look at what girls go through emotionally, physically, and mentally.  It’s very real and raw.  And, my new favorite is the YA book, “Love Letters to the Dead.”  What a gorgeous portrayal of grief and loss and the power of acceptance.  As you can tell, I love the YA genre! 

I’m not sure that “balance” is the right word, but as a working mother, how did you “balance,” your home, professional and writing commitments?

The question of "balance" as a writer and a mother is such a great question!  It's funny, years before my daughter, I worked as a waitress and my shift would start at 6pm.  So, I had all day to meander about and wait to feel the inspiration to write.  Slowly, I started booking some writing jobs, a script here or a pilot there, but still I had ALL day to work.  Now, (as I know all you moms out there can agree with) I'm lucky if I get to squeeze a shower in!  For me, reorganizing my writing/professional life with my life as a mom has truly been one of the most challenging aspects of motherhood.  Like many of us writers, we don't have an office outside of our home to go to.  Perhaps some of us have a converted garage (that's what I have:) but what used to be my space of solace and quiet is now only steps away from my screaming baby.  And boy, is it hard.  To be very honest, it has taken me close to 2 years to figure out a system which really works for me.  Basically, I am a morning person.  Since my husband is also a writer, and he is much more of a night person, we figured out a good compromise.  I have until 10am every morning all to myself.  So, if I get up at 5am, then that means I get 5 hours of uninterrupted writing time.  My daughter has been going through a bit of a sleep regression (she just turned 2) so lately I've been getting up closer to 7.  But still, that's 3 hours of no one needing me for anything.  And, now that I don't have the luxury of waiting for the inspiration to hit me, I just write.  Plain and simple.  What's that great saying, "If you want something done, give it to a busy man."  Well, I'm one busy mamma and I'm getting stuff done in the mornings!  Of course, there are days I miss the luxury of writing whenever I wanted to, but this system has proven to be very effective.  And right now, I will happily take what I can get!  Oh AND, I leave my house now, as well.  No more working out in the garage for me.  It's just if I hear my baby cry, I am toast.  So, I get up as early as I can possibly tolerate and go to a local coffee shop only a few blocks away.  I think it is so important for us moms to retain these parts of ourselves.  Being a writer is a tricky profession sometimes.  You have to be your own boss and that isn't always the easiest thing to do.  But the one thing motherhood has taught me is to juggle A LOT of different things.  As much as you can, just try not to drop the ball on your own needs and desires while you are somehow managing to keep everyone else alive.  And final omission, I do depend on coffee probably a bit more than I should. :)   

Thank you for letting me be a part of this wonderful blog!  Sending lots of love, appreciation, and support to all you fellow mamma writers out there.  There's safety in numbers, so let's stick together!  Wishing you happy writing!!!!    


No comments:

Post a Comment