Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

First ER Visit

We broke the first-visit-to-the-ER seal at dawn on Friday. The bambino’s fever was very high and the doctor on call recommended we take him to the ER for tests and hydration. My husband was away at a conference and my college friend, affectionately called “Aunt Joanna,” was visiting.

The bambino, Aunt Joanna, Elmo and I loaded into the car, one of us still in footsy pajamas, and headed to the hospital after defrosting the car windows. While I was on call for emergencies when I worked in student life, holding your sweaty, shaking and frightened child in your arms is not what I trained for. Being completely in love with the patient changes everything.  

The doctors and nurses, whose shifts were just ending/starting when we arrived, were incredibly patient and kind to our littlest one. One particularly thoughtful nurse succeeded in distracting him with a red popsicle as two other nurses struggled to start an IV in his arm.

In the end, he’s ok and mostly recovered, even back in daycare today after a long holiday weekend of attempting to rest. And, after catching my breath, I feel confident that I can care for my son, even during emergencies. That is, alongside medical professionals.

And if my husband is out of town, alongside Aunt Joanna. Her support and clear mind was a huge help, as were the encouraging smiles. I look forward to a future visit that includes the outdoors.


No comments:

Post a Comment