Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Anniversaries on April 1st

Today, April 1st, is an emotional day for me; being pregnant doesn't help to moderate my emotions when I think about my great Aunt Dora passing in 2011. Perhaps strangely, today is also the anniversary of the first time my husband and I met in 2006. (And yes, it is also April Fool's day. The joke wasn't lost on us on our first date.)

At Storm King Mountain, June 2007 

There are studies that point to the fact that the pregnant mother shares her (hormonally-charged) emotions with her baby. When there are significant happenings - good and bad - I think about how I'm transferring my emotions to the baby. Of course, this transference will continue after pregnancy, once the baby can witness my husband and I facing various challenges and joys. 

I've been missing my great Aunt Dora while simultaneously feeling thrilled that my husband and I are expecting a baby this June, the same month she and I celebrate(d) birthdays. I wish she could be here to welcome the new arrival. My goal today is to allow myself to feel these emotions, not become overwhelmed, and to ultimately learn from them all. 

Sure, like most things, that's easier said than done. Luckily it is National Poetry Month and I'm reminded to turn towards poetry to help untangle our world. 

Aunt Dora and I (March 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment