Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

Submission Organization

Have you ever put together a submission for a literary magazine and then discover that it is temporarily closed to submissions? I'm often missing opportunities: I learn about them after the deadline, hope I'll remember when they reopen and then I inevitably forget. If I can remember to update and follow my new list of opportunities organized by month, I might have solved this problem.

I've started keeping an electronic document that lists when magazine submissions open, residency applications are due and other deadlines for myself (including particular writing, editing and revising goals.) Organized by month, I can look ahead to next year's residency, conference and workshop deadlines (which are often far in advance of the start dates.) You can start your own list by looking at Poets and Writers Magazine, which has a search option to  organize their Writing Contests, Grants & Awards by date due.

This is essentially, what my dad calls a "tickler" system. And yes, that phrase has always made me giggle.

Since Woman Mother Writers are particularly busy, this system also helps to make better use of free moments. If I know that I'd like to submit to a particular magazine in the near future and I have a little free time now, I can start the submission and put it aside. And with this document, that I've named, "Writing Plan," I won't forget about it.

Or at least, I probably won't.

For more on submission organization, see my writing coach post on a submission spreadsheet to keep track of your outgoing work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment