Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

October: SIDS, Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month

October is SIDS, Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. It is important that we each do what we can to protect against SIDS and other losses, while continuing to support the families who have experienced these losses. October 15th is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day.

In April, 2012, pregnant for the first time, I miscarried. From the moment we learned the news in the doctor's office, I felt alone, surprised and depressed. I didn't understand what had happened and hadn't realized the likelihood of losing a pregnancy. I should have been better emotionally prepared. According to NIH, "Among women who know they are pregnant, the miscarriage rate is about 15-20%."

Since recovering, and and of course not forgetting, I have been writing about the experience in a poetry collection titled Carried. Some poems from the unpublished manuscript are forthcoming in Minerva Rising Literary Journal and Literary Mama.

I've gathered together some resources I found helpful at the time and now as we work to do what we can to keep our bambino safe. While it would be easier to ignore these risks, that's dangerous. What other resources would you recommend? 

Miscarriage Resources & Links (portal to other sites)

Reduce the Risk of SIDS from the American Academy of Pediatrics

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) from the CDC

Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUIDS) from the CDC

Safe to Sleep National Campaign from NIH

After a Miscarriage, Surviving Emotionally from American Pregnancy Association

Things We May Not Know from Miscarriage Support (New Zealand)

In my Amazon store, I've gathered together some examples of literature of mourning that I found helpful after this loss and others.



No comments:

Post a Comment