Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

One Month from Today: "Are you ready?"

The baby's due date is one month from today.

One. Month. From. Today.



Folks keep stumping me with the question, "Are you ready?" Sure, we've read the books, built the crib, bought a stroller/car seat combo, taken related classes at the hospital, chosen a name (no, we're not telling), met with a pediatrician and knocked a number of other things off our to-do list.

But, can anyone ever be completely ready to welcome a new human into the world and her home? Parent friends have been telling me that we'll be ok as long as we have a place for the baby to sleep, some diapers and a car seat that we'll be ok. I guess that means we'll be ok.

At first, I was viewing the due date as a sort of deadline for everything, including gigantic projects. I thought I should finish writing and editing my next book and reading all of the books I've ever wanted to read. Of course, that's ridiculous. And the perfect way to bring on a panic attack.

While having a child will change our lives - and radically change our schedule, especially in the beginning - it is in fact a beginning, not the end. (And I try to remind myself of this fact when I get overwhelmed.)

There will always be lots of things that I still need and want to do. We'll do our best and work to slowly come up with some kind of schedule that allows us to integrate our old and new lives. With changes, of course.

This is where my Dad's "Dad-isms" come in handy:

Be prepared for the unexpected. 

Know what you don't know. 

With those in mind, we can only do our best. Here's to a new adventure... that might start any day now.

No comments:

Post a Comment