Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Go Obama! And: Making Healthy Choices



I can feel the excitement about Obama’s second inauguration building this morning, although I won’t be joining the festivities on the Mall.

I’d like to head out with friends to celebrate, but I realize that’s not the best choice for me. Pregnant, I simply can’t be on my feet for very long or walk very long distances. Or get dehydrated. Or hydrate and not be able to find a bathroom. Or stand still and get terribly cold. Or be in crowds with people coughing and sneezing.

As someone who juggles many jobs, creative projects and other commitments, I would usually be happy to sacrifice comfort for something like this. I’m sure there are pregnant women attending the celebrations. We all need to make the decisions that are best for ourselves.

With this pregnancy, I’m giving myself limits and breaks. I made the hard decision not to attend two writing conferences this spring and one college reunion. I’d love to go to everything, but knowing how tired I’ve been, it seems like the wrong choice. In the first trimester, I slept most afternoons. It is hard to keep up with work, creative projects and preparing for the new baby when I've lost so many hours to sleep.

To avoid disappointment and frustration, I’ve learned something about these “lost” hours. The trick is to avoid thinking of these hours as “lost” and think of them as a healthy decision for the baby and my body. If we need rest, then we need rest.

I caught a cold this fall; I felt terrible and fell behind on everything. Unable to take any medication, it felt like it lasted forever. I’ve been working extra hard to keep myself healthy since then, although nothing is a guarantee. Since a woman’s immune system is weakened when she’s pregnant, it is important to make healthy decisions. Similarly, it is important to avoid feeling guilty if you do fall ill. 

Yes, I’m disappointed by missing the in-person excitement today. I’m happier, though, knowing I’m making a good choice for myself and our baby. I’ll stay in our warm home, drink lots of water and watch the festivities on television.

Go Obama!

If you are on the Mall today, I hope you’ll share your pictures and adventures with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment